Friday, August 19, 2011

Doin' what I do, part three - creating a stylish display using your digital camera

Collections are a funny thing for a lover of minimalism and simplicity.  I love ceramics, as you know.  I wish I had a pottery shop.  I would dust and arrange the pottery all day long, and I'd be happy as a clam.  Ah, and window display - heaven!  But in my home, I am still hoping to hit on a display that I love so much I never feel compelled to move it again. I just know that Nirvana can be achieved with the perfect arrangement.  Perhaps that is only achieved by not buying anything.  I've written about going on a buying diet, but I haven't been successful at sticking to it.  I find yard sales so compelling.

However, before I buy something new, I get rid of something old.  Whenever something new comes in, it's time to restyle.  Recently, I bought a couple of swan soap dishes, one from Etsy and one from a yard sale.  I dig 'em, but don't know why.  Oh dear, this could start a whole new collection - or is it a collection already?  Is two a collection?  I think two is actually a pair, and three is a collection. 

Styling bookcases is really hard for me.  Today I decided to arrange some of my favorite ceramics on my pink bookcase.  So I sipped a latte, popped on the Al Green (he's the coolest), and grabbed my digital camera. Using the camera can really help with perspective.  I use it to determine if something is too much, or not enough, and whether the collection appears balanced.  Plus, I can be a bit ditsy.  The camera helps me  remember.  By the time I figured out what I wanted, I couldn't remember what I had done.  No worries.
This was an unusual exercise for me.  I can be a ruthless editor.  But when I looked at the sixth picture, I actually thought it needed more.  That's a first.  I've been fighting the label, but I might have to admit that I am a collector.  I'm going to try an experiment - I'm going to see how long I can live without moving this display or buying any new vases.

Stay tuned for a tour of my apartment, and an exciting freelance project that I am working on.

2 comments:

Pink_Diamond said...

I agree .. 7th is the one:) ..oh I love that color:P

Peggy said...

Thank you Pink Diamond!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin