Thursday, August 2, 2007

A Quick Word About Jonathan Adler

















I love Jonathan Adler, but who doesn't? This guy is amazing. I don't want to say too much about him, because - well he's every where. He doesn't need another humble blogger to say anything about him. He's already the most prolific artist of our time.

In a blog that intends to spend a lot of time talking about pottery, it just wouldn't be fair not to talk about Jonathan. Okay, yes, his vases are amazing. And yes, every mass-produced vase out there is derivative of Jonathan's work.

His book is absolutely wonderful. And while I am not a fan of his over-the-top decorating style, there is no way you can open this book and be sad. It's just irrepressibly funny. I haven't been able to buy it, but when I am having a bad day at work, I spend my lunch hour at the library looking at it. It has never failed to make me smile and laugh. And, I took a piece of wisdom from the book that I use in my own decor: No colors clash. He's right. Just look at the cacophony in nature.

More importantly, however, is that Jonathan lives his life as art. He's such a cutie, he's always smiling. He's living proof of the laws of attraction. Oops, let me got off this topic before I sound too much like Oprah.

Suffice it to say, that I don't want to talk too much about his pottery, because Adler IS pottery these days. In fact, so much so, that I believe one day we will call vases Adlers. You know, the same way we call tissue Kleenex or gelaten Jello.

Pretty good for a guy whose teacher told him he would never make it as a ceramicist.



These are my Adler knockoffs. Thank God for Target.


2 comments:

Vineeta said...

I really liked this post :) i had ofcourse heard of Jonathan Adler but your post gives me a certain perspective on him. I wil try and catch that book you were speaking of.

Jessie said...

I LOVE THE VASES!!!!! I still have not had a chance to see that book in person!!!! I love the rug on the cover,....just that makes me want to buy it!!!! :) I need to look at more of his work to decide if I love him or not.... I am going to get that book.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin