Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Influence - Nana Ditzel










Nana Ditzel is probably best known for her oft-copied butterfly chair.


My friend Tony likes really bad science fiction. Sometimes he forces me to watch some of it. One of his favorites is Space 1999. The only thing that got me through the few episodes I watched was the super groovy design.











Space 1999


Later I found out the designs were by Ditzel.

Like most lovers of design, I have a fat folder of images I collected before I had the technology to catalog them. In that folder is this lounge designed by Ditzel. Sorry for the poor quality, but you get the idea. Look at those romantic colors. Takes me back to a time in my youth. The hang out was called Rumors, and we sat in the pit.


I could see this lounge in a scifi movie, with droids flying around serving drinks, smoke wafting and trance dance playing. The following painting was inspired by this lounge, and is a tribute to Nana Ditzel.


Disco, 2006

24" x 24", acrylic and marker on canvas

1 comment:

Vineeta said...

That butterfly chair is crazy! Ive never seen anything like it. Also u are getting so prolific with your paintings! where do u get the time? dont u sleep :)?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin