Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Influence - Eva Ziesal










Eva Ziesal is known as the Mother of Modern Design. Ziesal is unsurpassed as a designer of beautiful dishes, vases and teapots. Her designs are simple and fluid, and coveted by many.

Ziesal's designs would look great on a sci-fi movie set. These tables designed by Ziesal, look like they'd be right at home alongside Ditzel's designs for Space 1999 (see post below).

KleinReid produces a loving line of Eva designs. In fact, next time I'm in New York, I'm stopping by their studio. If you love pottery, you must check out their site.

My favorite of Ziesal's designs, is the very popular gravy boat. This image is from the wonderful site called Hi+Lo. I have wanted one of these for years. I love the sensual shape of it, it looks like lovers, or birds to me. I've often seen this piece on the shelves of beautiful living rooms in decorating magazines.

When I learned that Crate and Barrel makes a reproduction of the gravy boat, I ordered it right away. I could not wait for it to arrive. But when it did, my excitement turned to disappointment. The Crate and Barrel version is ivory, not white; shiny, not matte. These two conditions were perhaps forgiveable, however, the piece looks horribly mass-produced. Most of the time I don't mind knock-offs, I am an avid Target shopper. But this piece was a great disappointment, so I returned it. Definitely not worth the $47.00.

So, I am waiting for the gravy boat to show up at a flea market, junk shop or garage sale. And I know it will. In the meantime, here are some of my paintings inspired by Ziesal's gravy boat.


Gravy Boat, 2005, 16" x 20", acrylic on canvas


Flower Petals, 2005, 16" x 20", acrylic and marker on canvas

Pink Vase, 2005, 15" x 30", acrylic on canvas board

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the gravy boat on canvas! This is by far one of your top paintings!

Archana Srinivas Pottery said...

lovely fluid forms...very interesting!

Vineeta said...

I loved your work featured here!Its moved on from your previous work. and you keep the inspiring ladies coming on. I love this :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin