Friday, July 1, 2011

Seattle - Pioneer Square

Pioneer Square is one of my favorite spots in the city.  Easy going people.  Lots of art.  My cup of tea.


Yarn bombing!  Artist Suzanne Tidwell was selected by the Seattle Department of Parks and Recreation for this site-specific piece in Pioneer Park.  Almost everything is yarn bombed in bright summer colors, and it is striking.
What a great place to eat lunch or have a coffee break!  I found the people in Seattle to be very congenial.  Across the street, I spied this:
I like to take pictures of alleys.  Not sure why.  Then I saw this, and nearly had a heart attack.

I couldn't get over there fast enough.  Fortunately, my sister-in-law is also afflicted with the pottery sickness.  Laguna Pottery is a slice of heaven.  The kind owner is named Michael.  He was very patient with me as we discussed different glazes and makers, I learned a lot.  Here are some of the lovelies we saw:

These are Franciscan by Gladding-McBean.  Too steep for my budget, but isn't that color fab?

He has an extensive collection of Heath Ceramics.  I got very excited because I had only seen these beauties online.  It was great to touch them.  As you know, pottery is a very tactile art form.  These are perfect.  The glazes exquisite.  I was, once again, astounded by the difference in artisan and mass produced pieces.  Artisan pieces are far superior.  I'm excited that I bought my first piece of Heath!  I'm sure this will start another obsession.  Laguna has an online business, I think I'm going to order this vase.  Here's what I bought:

A Heath bud vase and a Franciscan bowl.  I was so excited about this store in this lovely area of town, that I asked Michael if I could have a job.  I would love to dust the pottery, arrange the pottery, take care of the website, go on buying trips, etc.  I'd love to move to Seattle.  I think he thought I was crazy, but I meant it. Cleveland seems so drab now.
Here's some amazing street art we saw as we left Pioneer Square.

All images by Peggy

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin