Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Seattle - Art Glass

Here's something I didn't know about Seattle - it's internationally recognized as the leading center for the design and creation of hand crafted glass.  Meaning, there are beautiful glass studios everywhere.  I didn't buy a piece of art glass, but I wish I had.


These beautiful pieces were all handcrafted by artisans on site at Glass House Studio, in Pioneer Square.  We met Daniel Meisner, the kind owner of the shop, and watched a demonstration of glass blowing.

 Fascinating!



These pieces were on display at our hotel and were made by the great Dale Chihuly.  Once I learned that Seattle is world famous for its art glass, it didn't surprise me to see Chihuly's work frequently.  His name is synonymous with art glass.  What I didn't realize is that Chihuly was born in Tacoma, Washington and maintains a studio in Puget Sound.
We went into other art glass galleries, but it was difficult to take pictures.  This particular studio was on First Avenue, and I apologize for not remembering its name.  They actually had paintings that Chihuly made while planning glass installations with his students and interns.  Fascinating!  I had never seen Chihuly paintings before.  Now my sister-in-law and I need to plan a glass buying trip to Seattle.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin