Monday, July 11, 2011

Seattle - Galleries

I've said it before - Seattle is a treat for artists and art lovers.  There are galleries everywhere!  We saw a fascinating gallery on Bainbridge Island.  It is the Henry Dietrich Gallery, a Bainbridge Arts and Crafts Project.

I was stunned when I saw these paintings!  Simple, smooth and oh so groovy.  The influence of Picasso and Matisse was evident right away.

In Matisse's later years, he could no longer paint and began to make beautiful cut out art.  In this painting, Dietrich pays tribute to Matisse, who is pictured in his wheel chair with his scissors.
The colors are absolutely stunning.  I apologize for the poor quality of these images.  You know how it is, trying to take photos on the down low in a gallery.
I think any of these works would fit in a modern loft beautifully.

I was particularly stunned by this work.  Have you ever tried to paint with the freedom and abandonment of a child?  It's not easy.  Unfortunately, sometimes education pounds that innocence out of a child.  This one makes me want to experiment with honoring my inner child on canvas.  Seattle really spoke to my artist's soul.  Everywhere I looked there was inspiration.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin