Monday, July 25, 2011

Photography - Natural Talent

One of the most satisfying parts of being an artist and a blogger is discovering other creative people.  I find it particularly gratifying when I stumble upon natural talent.  Such is the artistry of Kelly Van Cleave.  Kelly is the daughter of Debi, the author of Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country.  She's only 14 years old, and as the following will attest, is a natural talent.

I was very flattered when Debi asked me to take a look at Kelly's photography.  She's never had any training, just one day picked up the camera and started clicking.  And I'm glad she did.  When I speak of being a photographer, I always stress the importance of closely observing your surroundings.  Kelly has done that.  What emerges is a real feel for living in a rural area.  Kelly obviously has the eye, and that can't be taught.  I hope she continues to pursue photography.  Here are just a few of my favorites.





 I think this one is my favorite.
Or maybe this one.  I can see both of these enlarged and hanging in a modern loft.
I love the coloration of this one.  Ahh, the lazy days of summer.

Great.  Love the composition.  The boot in the foreground and the chairs in the background.  Love how their colors match too.
Ever try to photograph a cat?  They're hard!  This photo is great.  Love that she was able to capture the claws.

Love this self-portrait!  I could see this as an album cover.  Notice the reflections in the sunglasses.  Genius.  I love working with reflections.  I've been encouraging Kelly to start a flickr account.  When she does I will update this post with a link to her work, she's one to watch.  Kelly, thank you for sharing your photography with me, and thanks for being an inspiration.  Keep doing what you do, girl.  Never quit!

This concludes my series on photography for now.  If you are an artist, and would like to be featured here, please send me an email.  If you'd like to see more of my features celebrating great photographers, click here and here.  Stay tuned for decor and color inspiration.  xxoo

4 comments:

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Aw, thank you Peggy for writing such a nice article about Kelly and her work! She is going to be so inspired when she sees it!

She did start a Flickr account but she hasn't put anything on there yet. I'll let you know.

That cat with the claws was easy. That nutjob always has his claws out! That's Mojo the crazy Siamese.

The Artist In Me said...

Hi Peggy! Stumbled upon your page, and love the content that you have here. This youngster has a definite eye, and that is more than half the battle in this business. So refreshing to see! Look forward to reading more of your stuff! Be blessed!

Peggy said...

Hi Debi! Ha, Mojo - cute cat name!

The Artist in Me - Thanks for visiting and thanks for the compliment. I hope you will visit often.

Kelly Van Cleave said...

Thank you Peggy for posting these! I appreciate it! I just took some great ones today with a black stormy sky in the background!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin