Friday, July 8, 2011

Seattle - Storefronts

One of the many things I adore about downtown Seattle is its storefronts.  Interesting window displays were frequent, providing a glimpse into an artist's work that made me want to see more.  One such compelling window was in Chinatown.  This window caused me to stop and ponder.




Organic, yet soft and romantic.  Found art.  Not easy.  I've experimented with found art, but the look I achieve is always rather rustic.  I love the ethereal nature of this work.  Putting the artist's name in big letters is a great way to honor an artist, and make it easy for photojournalists like myself.  I wanted to know more about Kristin Tollefson, so consulted the trusty oracle at Google.  I learned that the name of this work is Pollinatrix and is part of the Seattle Storefronts program.  The program seeks to infuse empty spaces with art, and provides exposure to artists.  It's a win-win. Again, I am mystified at the lack of programs for the arts in Cleveland.  Perhaps I should run for mayor.  Sorry, I digress.

Kristen is an amazing artist, a metalsmith and a teacher.  She is active in the Seattle public art program and I'm glad I got to learn about her work, I'm a fan and will be following her blog.

All images by Peggy

1 comment:

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I love the window. Seattle is very artsy.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin