Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Confessions of an Obsessive Painter, Vol. III

Below I wrote about my compulsive painting tendencies. Here is another example of that compulsion. Sometimes a painting just remains simple, and simplicity is something I strive for. But, sometimes a painting beckons for more paint and it is difficult to stop. I once read that Picasso said the most difficult part about a painting is knowing when it is done. Sometimes I wish I had someone to drag me away from a canvas.


Here is a painting I did last week. Based on the principle of Enso. But even Enso is impermanent.



It beckoned me. I added more paint and let it sit for a day. Sometimes I worry that adding more paint will ruin a work. But hey, I can always start over. And for the most part I am courageous about applying paint and I keep moving forward. (My new motto, described below.)

Here is what the painting looks like now. And I think it is done. 24" x 24", acrylic and marker on canvas, as yet untitled. I don't know what exactly is going on here. Creation maybe. Flight maybe. Movement, definitely, since that's always a theme in my paintings. I am leaning more and more toward organic forms and am highly influenced by street art.
This is probably my last painting for 2007. It's been a good year in paint for me. I am grateful because I feel as if I am finding my voice.
Stay tuned as I will be taking a new direction for 2008.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin