Saturday, May 22, 2010

pink spray paint and thrifting

I'm always on the look out for pink vases. But I want modern, simple shapes with no fru frus. They're difficult to find. I've decided there's only one thing to do - short of taking a pottery class - and that is to buy a can of pink spray paint.

These lovely spray painted vases were featured in Sweet Paul. Yep, I need to spray paint some vases. Then I can get the lovely matte finish I like. Most inexpensive modern vases are glossy.

This vase by The Red Kettle is painted the perfect color. I love it, but I prefer ceramic.

I thought I'd experiment with this turquoise vase since it was really cheap. Only $2.99 at TJ Maxx.
When it comes to spray paint, there are two things to remember: Primer and Patience. It took a while to get the hang of it. It's not as easy as it appears. You have to do short quick sprays, applying only a small amount of paint at a time so that you don't get drips. The problem with this is that it takes about a zillion coats. I didn't get this vase exactly right, but I really love the color.

By the time I got to these vases, I think I had the hang of it. The simple shapes of these vases are perfection, and now they will be the perfect color. I was taking my time and putting on small coats of paint, and letting them dry thoroughly before applying another coat. Then the rain clouds came. Since I couldn't finish my project, I made the very logical decision to go thrifting.

I was kind of jonesin' because I haven't gone thrifting in a while. These three vases are part of the loot I got today, and they were cheap! The two smaller ones were $2.00 each. The taller one was a score at $4.00! It's really old, dates back to the 18th century. It has a chip in the back, which is why I got it so cheap. I don't mind, I like small cracks and chips, gives a piece character. I bought these three with the intention of painting them pink, but I kinda like them.

Turquoise looks great with pink. Here they are in my bedroom, with my new Haeger panther. What's your opinion, dear readers? Keep them they way they are, or paint them pink?

1 comment:

Jessie said...

I love the vases you painted pink! I love spray painting things! I do tend to make the paint "drip" though, because I am in a hurry. :(

I like those vases in turquoise. I would just live with them for a week or two. Then decide. I love going thrifting!!! Someday I will go again. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin