Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Work in Progress and Impermanence

This photo is to provide a little perspective on the work I spoke of in the post below.  This work emerged out of my interest in making sculpture out of detritus, and a friend who said to me, "You are trying to create a perfect little world."  Huh, I thought, why stop there?  Why not a perfect universe?  The work started as an installation piece, but has evolved into a comic book which I am now working on story boarding. I want to make it into a video too, but fear that's too ambitious. I am sometimes hard on myself because I'm an idea person, and not very good at execution - and that's such a cop out.  As you know, clutter distresses me.  I cannot relax - nor feel inspiration - when I am surrounded by clutter. Once this installation was photographed, it was dismantled.

So here I am again, in a familiar place. Questioning everything.  The importance, the relevance (or lack thereof as the case may be).  Today, a friend said to me that blogs are corny. That gave me pause, I've heard many descriptions of blogs, but well, frankly, corny wasn't one I had heard. Blogs are certainly obsessive, and most bloggers by definition have ADD. You have to have ADD and OCD to succeed as a blogger. Your audience needs constant new content. When I was part of corporate America, blogs and coffee were an important part of my morning.  I'd much rather read a blog than a newspaper, and I love hearing unique voices. I've also heard bloggers described as self absorbed, or arrogant. I can kind of relate to the self absorbed description. After all my blog is all about me. My likes, my aesthetics, my work.  For some reason, I have an intense need to share. Perhaps that's part of being an artist.  Or perhaps that's part of being a human. We seem to have a need to document our lives. Never in history have we documented so much.

Whether or not this is a good thing, eludes me at the moment, and will probably consume my thoughts for the next few days.  What I do know is this: I am grateful to have a voice. Grateful that there are a few people who have taken the time to listen to my voice, and grateful that I am participating in a small way. Does it really matter?  What do you think?  I'd love to hear from you my dear readers.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin