Monday, March 3, 2008

Artwork that Haunts
































Last week is a blur to me. It snowed a lot and I was so busy I had no time to blog. Every day I sat in training with wet feet and hair. I did my best to pay attention to the nuances of software that doesn't make sense to me, but images haunted me. I wish I worked in a gallery.









At lunch time I gripped my copy of Letters to a Young Poet by Rilke. I thought about surrender. Apparently, I am where God intends me to be. My life would be easier if I could stop kicking and screaming.












And I can curate online. Here are the images that are currently haunting me.


Ohm. Groovy mudra. This piece is by Eric Feng, more commonly known as Feric. A visit to his website is a surreal delight, almost like traveling to another time. Feric has an amazing brain. This is someone I would love to meet. His images are are once technological and spiritual. They definitely give me pause. I wish I could fly.






Here is the Dunny formerly available from KidRobot designed by Feric. Many great artists design vinyl toys. I wish this toy were in my collection. Image from flickr user prOdis.
















Julie West. Her images are sublime.




She also designs toys. I ordered these Kanzia clusters designed by her. I can't wait until they arrive! I have the perfect place of prominence in my apartment for these pieces of art.





This beautiful lady by Ernesto Caivano looks like she can fly.



What do these works of art have in common? While they are aesthetically pleasing, they are so much more than that. The work of these artists combine primitive and futuristic elements that renders contemplation of the work a meditation. There is a softness, an almost wistfulness to these pieces. These pieces all seem to exhibit a yearning for a better world. Or is that just me projecting my subjectivity? In any event, these are all pieces I would like to own.

Contemplating the work of these artists helped me survive my mundane reality. I believe that when a work haunts, it is a remarkable achievement.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin