Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Art toys!

I love urban vinyl toys. They are works of art and make great sculpture. If you like street art, animation, comic books or manga, then you will love urban vinyl. The miracle of plastic renders the characters of artists' imaginations in 3D. Many of these toys come in limited editions. Here are a few of my favorites.

No doubt, you are already familiar with Ghost Girl by famous street artist Matt Siren. Image via Slingluff Gallery on twitter.

Ghost girl is available in 3D form from My Plastic Heart.
This is Munko from David Cho. I wrote about David Cho below.


I know you all love different artists' renderings of the ubiquitous Hello Kitty. This is one of my favorites. It's by the fab Tara McPherson, who I've written about many times. I adore her work.

Here it is rendered in 3D form. I really want this one! But at $40.00, it's too steep for my budget. At least now it's in my digital collection. Available from KidRobot.

This is Sweety from Stephane Levallois' toxic candy series. I love the irony of her head being a piece of wrapped candy, and that she wears braces on her teeth. I saw this toy live at a record store recently and it is so cute. Again, at $40.00 a little too pricey for me. Available at My Plastic Heart.


I am so in love with the work of Yoshitomo Nara, I can't believe I've never featured him on this blog. I need to devote an entire post to him, and he definitely needs to be included in my Chick Art series. This is the Little Wanderer and Pup Cup. They are expensive at $144 each, but they are pieces of art. Available at My Plastic Heart. More about the miracle of plastic, here.


Update: Just learned that 20 years of Yoshitomo Nara's work is being exhibited in NYC at the Asia Society Museum. Wish I could afford to attend. Check out the curator's video. Awesome.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin