Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Reluctant Renovator - The Good

I was so grateful to be able to put my apartment back in order this weekend. So I took the opportunity to rearrange and organize. When I got home Friday, I grooved to Anthony Hamilton. I flowed around the apartment soaking in his voice, feeling full of love. I've spent a lot of time over the past few weeks thinking about color. Purple? Gray? Nah. Listening to Anthony it became clear. Pink. And not just any pink. Passionate, hot pink.

While listening to Anthony, I lovingly applied hot pink to my little bookcase. And painted a canvas to match.


Sexy. Still grooving to Anthony, waiting for the paint to dry, I organized the closet.


And rearranged the furniture. Organizing is always difficult, because some of my favorite pieces get put away. I don't want clutter.




Stuff can be such a burden. I have too much, even though I try to continually pare down. I have a rule, nothing new comes in, unless something old goes out. And I never put things in storage. If you are putting stuff in storage, you don't need it and should get rid of it. Here's some of the stuff I got rid of. As I put it on the curb, I thank it for serving me. And I trust someone who can use it will take it. Stuff should not be hoarded, it's meant to be dynamic and flowing.

I picked up the lamp I had been thinking about at Target. I was uncertain of this purchase. I worried that I wouldn't like it when I got home. Now I adore it. Has several light settings and casts a beautiful glow.

I got rid of my Noguchi-rip off, rice paper lamp. The dust from the renovation project ruined it.

Saturday I went to the vintage store intending to buy this lamp.

I adore it's organic nature. It's from Norway and I believe made of teak. When I got to the store, I found there was actually a pair of lamps and the owner wanted $129.00 for the set. I hemmed and hawed. I didn't want to spend that kind of money and I only needed one. After much consternation, I put the lamps in lay-away. My readers know I do everything on the cheap, so this is one of the most expensive purchases I have ever made. However, I really look forward to picking them up.

I couldn't wait until next month for something pretty, though, so I bought this really cute blue bottle (the one to the right, had the other two). Not sure why, but I gotta thing for blue bottles.

I'll show you what my apartment currently looks like in my next post. Wish I could have Anthony Hamilton over for tea. And wouldn't you know it? He was in Cleveland Friday! Damn.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin