Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Dark Walls

Dear readers, I'm not one for trends.  I'm usually late to trends, and often fall in love with trends when they are over.  But I don't worry about that.  I just trust my instincts when it comes to color.  The black accent wall is a trend that's been around for a while, but doesn't seem to be losing popularity any time soon.  I'm dreaming of a new apartment, something small and simple and I am decorating it in my mind.  I'm definitely doing a dark accent wall.  Either gray and black.  With pops of hot pink, and maybe turquoise and yellow.  I love the allure of a dark room.  The room should be cozy, but a little edgy, feminine and and mysterious.  Here's some inspiration.  Hope you enjoy!

As you know it was Abigail Ahern who first got me thinking about dark walls.  I love her living room.  I adore that hot pink coffee table, and those gray floors.  Abigail's approach to design is very different from my own and challenges my perception, and I love that.  (See previous posts about Abigail Ahern, here.)

I know I've featured the bedroom of the perfect Jenna Lyons before, but it's so - well - perfect. 

Here's another view of Ms. Lyon's bedroom in a different light.  I love to watch how color changes during the day.  Love the pop of the white fireplace and crisp, simple bedding.  The room is romantic, simple and restful looking.  Images Habitually Chic.


I've featured this lovely bedroom before as well, but it is a perfect example of a room with a black accent wall.  The room is simple, calm, restful and very sophisticated.  Image The Boo and the Boy.


I'm sure you are all avid readers of Desire to Inspire. If so, you've been watching with avid interest, Jo's transformation of her new (old) house.  I've watched Jo collecting for a couple of years prior to to buying her home.  It's absolutely astonishing how it's coming together.  She skillfully pulls together such disparate pieces as the deco screen, vintage chairs, ethnic prints and luscious dark walls to achieve an incredibly chic room.


Love the pop of the white fireplace and the hot pink pillow against this accent wall.  Image Door Sixteen.

I'm not a big fan of herringbone floors, but I do love the purple sofas in this dark room.  Image via Richard Powers.

This room is a little ornate for me, I don't care for the paneling.  But I do love the soft pink chair and foot stool.  This room proves that pale pink and gray look great together.  Gubi via sfgirlbybay.

 This chartreuse door really pops against the black wall.  Image House to Home.

This room is a tad disjointed, and I'm not a fan of chevron, however, it is still largely successful due to its bold use of color and pattern.  I think I am bothered by the sofa, and would prefer to see a pink, lavender or maybe gray sofa.  I am also bothered by the wood dresser, and maybe the white desk doesn't go there?  I'd like to see a little tweaking here, but just a little.  I love the direction the designer is taking.  I adore the color of the walls, the turquoise lamp, the yellow chair and the silver poufs.  I think this is a case of a homeowner creatively using what they have with a small budget.  It does prove that dark walls with pops of color make a room look very rich.  Image via Apartment Therapy.

Beautiful black accent wall and sofa.  Love the pops of pink from the pillow and rug.  Image House to Home.

A simple dining room takes on stunning sophistication with a black accent wall.  I love how minimal this room is, the wall is the art.  Image Apartment Therapy.

Dark blue makes a beautiful accent wall in this lovely, minimal dining room.  Image Apartment Therapy.  I think the following three rooms are my favorite of this batch.  One of these may be my inspiration for my new apartment.

This room is stunning (except that the TV is mounted too high, but who cares?).  I love the pops of hot pink, yellow, violet and red.  In the past, I've always used pops of color against white.  For a more smouldering look, why not substitute gray for white?
Another stunning room.  I'm not usually a lover of pattern, but I am digging this sofa.  Love the pops of color provided by the pillows.

And oh man, will you look at this beauty.  Beautiful pink sofa, Moroccan-influenced end table, low scale coffee table, ethnic screen.  Drool.  Above three images via House to Home.  What about you dear readers?  Would you ever do a black or gray accent wall in your place?  If you have done a dark wall in your place, send me a picture and maybe I will feature you on this blog.  I'd love to hear from you!

3 comments:

Jessie said...

So you aren't a fan of chevron? That is what I plan to cover my ottoman in! lol I know it's over done and it's everywhere, but I love it!! I don't care about trends either. I actually hate doing anything that is a trend. ;)

Peggy said...

Jessie! You know when I say that I don't like something, you usually turn me on to it. I'm sure I'm going to love the chevron on your ottoman! Can't wait to see it.

carola said...

like your blog!

It's really inspiring! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin