Friday, March 4, 2011

Making a home

It takes a while to make a new place feel like home.  I loved my humble studio apartment so much, that I feared I could never love another place.  And while it's true that my new place is quirkier than I would prefer - I am starting to fall in love with it.  I am doing a lot of experimenting with layering of color and it is making me happy.

I saw this image on Apartment Therapy, and couldn't stop thinking about it.  I'm not a pattern person, but the colors here are absolutely fascinating to me.  I think you can tell by the sunny pictures I've been showing lately, that I can't wait for Spring!  After seeing this picture, I knew I needed a pop of yellow in my living room.



Here's some new things I bought.  A new yellow pillow for my living room!  I got it for $3.99 at Old Time Pottery.  I think it's perfect with the hot pink cover.  I wish I could paint my walls pink.  While I was at Old Time Pottery, I was astounded to find this pink lamp.  Since it's hard to find pink objects in modern shapes, I knew I had to have it.  I adore the shade.  This was a steal at $29.99.  The shade is worth more than that!  It's a beautiful satin fabric, and casts the most scrumptious glow.  I have it in my bedroom.  I also got a new tchotchke at the Salvation Army.  The lovely little geisha girl planter.  Only $1.99.  Not my usual taste, for some reason she spoke to me.  I love her.  I won't be putting plants in her, I think it looks funny when plants grow out of figurines heads.  But I might be spray painting her.  Turquoise maybe.  Next week I'm planning a full tour of my apartment.  Stay tuned.

10 comments:

Pink_Diamond said...

beautifull:)

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

That shade IS worth more than that. Is it new or vintage?

Peggy said...

Thank you Pink Diamond!

Hi Greener - that's a new lamp. Hard to believe it has such a great shade. Usually with cheap lamps, you get just a cheap white shade. I love it!

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Yeah. I was thinking about going into the vintage lamp business but with new lamps like that, I don't know if it's a good idea!

Peggy said...

Hi Greener - I still think you should go into the vintage lamp business. It's rare to find a nice lamp like this on the cheap. I actually really, really love lamps, especially vintage.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Hmm.

I know you do. Me too. I keep buying them even though I don't have any room for them. What is with this lamp addiction?

Jessie said...

Wow, great finds! You always find great things! The lamp is amazing. Have you ever considering hanging fabric on your walls like wallpaper? I haven't attempted it yet. I have heard it is easy. You use liquid starch to keep it on the wall.

Peggy said...

Hi Jessie! Thanks! No I've never thought about hanging fabric on the wall, but I have seen it done and I like it. Emily from Design Star did that when she designed her glass house room. Did you watch Design Star? Are you going to do a wall in your place?

I would like to do some draping of fabrics, kind of Moroccan style.

Jessie said...

I may hang fabric once we get stationed somewhere. It will be a COLD place, so decorating will be very important!

Home Lighting said...

You are one lucky girl for finding that lamp! The pink shade is gorgeous and definitely a perfect accent to a bedroom :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin