Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Update: HGTV Design Star, Season 7

Design Star is my favorite show.  I am amazed at what the designers come up with given the constraints they have on materials and time.  The show is on Tuesday at 9:00.  I don't have a TV, so it takes supreme control not to get on any of the Twitter feeds.  I don't want any spoilers.  Fortunately, HGTV is great about uploading the program to their website so I can watch it first thing Wednesday morning.  Tonight is the kitchen challenge, my least favorite challenge.  Everyone knows the kitchen is the hardest room to design and it seems impossible given their time constraints.

Last week was episode 5, and it was my favorite episode this season.  I love the individual challenges more than the team challenges.  They don't have to compromise their styles and there is no bickering.  It's really the ladies who are dominating this season.  My first prediction was that the final three would be Danielle, Britany and Rachel.   Unfortunately, Rachel has really fallen apart in the last couple of episodes, I fear the stress is too much for her.  I think Rachel may get eliminated tonight if her performance is again lackluster.  Hilari has really stepped it up and her quirky personality is growing on me.  I am still routing for Danielle to win, but I believe the final three will be Danielle, Britany and Hilari.

If you haven't seen episode 5, you must.  The challenge was to create Hollywood lounges based on different time periods.  The designers really stepped it up.  Danielle created a Parisian Art Deco lounge.  Not an easy style.  Not one of my favorite styles, but it was incredible nonetheless (although I'm not sure I get the panther, which the judges gushed about.  I know I would stub my toe on that.)  She took the win, and I was really happy for her.  Britany designed a gorgeous Hollywood Regency lounge.  Love, love, love the bookcase.  Again, not my style, but it was gorgeous.  Britany is the only designer who has not made a single misstep this season, except in her camera challenges.  I was disappointed what a bad sport she was when she didn't win.  But her camera challenge was really bad.  She frowns and stutters, she seems really shy and I'm not sure why.  Not only is she incredibly talented, she's beautiful.

Hilari got on my nerves at first, but she's growing on me.  She is really blossoming.  I adored the 80s inspired lounge she designed.  It doesn't scream 80s to me, maybe that's because I was stuck in my dusty rose shabby chic style at that time.  But I adore the room and could live in it!  You've already seen the PVC pipe dividers, in the post below.




Beautiful!  Love the sofas, the Mondrian-inspired floor, the hanging lights, the mirrored table.  Mikel has been in the middle throughout the competition.  I feel like there is a lot more to him, and that he's been kind of playing it safe.  He designed a Mid Century inspired lounge, and the judges found it a little sparse and incomplete.  Actually, I adore it.  It fits my aesthetic very well.

I adore the Rothko-inspired painting.  Looking at this picture makes me want to do a room with a red rug, red pillows and all white furniture.  I adore the large amount of white with the pops of color, and the minimalism of this room.  It's so easy to critique from my armchair, I realize how difficult it is for these designers.  That said, here I go:  I wish he had placed that bench under the painting and used a Noguchi table for his coffee table, to add an organic pop.  Of course, the room is lacking in vases.  Mid century style has a multitude of fab vases to choose from.  He could have put some lovely German op art or some Holmegaard vases on the Noguchi.  Also, I wish there were a few more of the Saarinen end tables.  After all, it is a lounge, and there is no where for people to set drinks.  Still, I am digging this color scheme and the pops of silver from the sculpture and the chairs in the corners.  Mikel is a prop stylist, so I am a little shocked he hasn't stepped up his game a bit.  I hope he surprises me.


I had to show you this set he designed from his portfolio.  Man, I could live there!  Love the white, the pops of hot pink and the ottoman covered in black fabric.  Love silver poofs.  Can't wait to watch Episode 6 in the morning!  Thank you to all these brave designers who put themselves out there!  I totally understand your passion.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin