Friday, December 14, 2012

The Second Amendment

I had a fun fashion post scheduled for today.  When I saw the tragic news this morning, my heart was broken. Once again.  Suddenly fashion was unimportant, frivolous and shallow even.  My prayers go to the families, victims and survivors of the shooting in Connecticut.  How many of these tragic incidents do we need to happen before we stop the insanity? A discussion of weapon ownership is long past due.  Silence and cowardice are no longer luxuries we can afford.  Indeed if we continue to keep silent, we are complicitous in this insanity.  In other words: if we are not part of the solution, we are part of the problem.  We each must take responsibility for our role in this tragedy.  It is blatantly untrue that this is a complex issue.  Here's a good place to start the discussion. Let's look at what the Second Amendment actually says.   The Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States states in its entirety:
.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
.
Isn't it amazing how such a few words can be so hotly debated?  I have read the Amendment over and over, and it seems to me the intent is that a Militia shall bear arms (e.g., the armed forces).  I see no reference to the rights of individuals to bear arms. In any event, this amendment was adopted in 1791. It is my belief that we should all lay down our arms.  At the very least, the amendment should be re-evaluated to clear up its ambiguity and to clarify its language. We no longer use language in this fashion, so we must be clear on its intent.
.
Keep in mind, the argument that "criminals" will still obtain weapons is an invalid one. A thorough examination of the mass shootings in the U.S. shows that most weapons used have been obtained legally.  Let's use this marvelous technology to affect real change.  Please, let's lay down our arms.  It's the right thing to do.  It really is that simple.


1 comment:

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Peggy, I CANNOT believe how many people are out there who are against gun control! I am getting more and more disgusted at people's ignorance, meanness, selfishness, and paranoia. I can't stand it. I am speaking up because you are right--if you are silent, you are part of the problem. And I've been making enemies on FB left and right. I don't care. I'm sick of it.

By the way, that was a good point that I didn't know--how most gun crimes are done with legally owned guns. Good to know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin