Tuesday, January 28, 2014

My New Year's Resolution: Just Be.

This post is kind of late.  I can't believe January is almost over.  Seems like it was Christmas yesterday. I usually don't make New Year's resolutions, because I seldom keep them and why set myself up for failure. This year I read so many resolutions friends made on Facebook, and I was touched by all the good intentions. But....what if you don't have to be better, smarter or prettier....what if you are perfect just the way you are? In fact, isn't all that striving causing suffering and disappointment?

So this year, I made the resolution.  To just Be.  I'm going to Be who I am.  And try to accept that I am perfect the way I am.  And you are perfect too.  You are perfect just the way you are.


Urban Outfitters must have been reading my mind when they made this pillow.

Since I get a lot of requests for pictures of me, here's one my sister-in-law took around Christmas.  I am modeling the fabulous beaded purse I got at the Salvation Army for $2.00.

Here's a selfie I took in the bathroom. Selfies are hard aren't they?  I receive a lot of criticism for wearing my hair long.  I am told by various "experts" that "older" women are not supposed to wear their hair long.  I say quit using the word older, and wear your hair however you feel most comfortable.  I've tried various lengths, and am most comfortable in long hair.  So I'm going to Be comfortable.

Can you imagine anyone telling the sublimely beautiful Eveline Hall that older women shouldn't wear their hair long?  Being a woman is fun.  I enjoy girly things.  And I am going to Be who I am.


Silvery eyeshadow is my favorite at the moment.  This gorgeous look by Cover Girl.  But you don't need makeup to be a fabulous woman.  Again, the key is to Be who you are.  Remember this essay, entitled "You Don't Have to Be Pretty?"  I think it should be required reading for all women.  And I wish I'd written it. (See previous post where I first mentioned this essay.)


Okay, here's a sad truth. Everyone's been bullied. And everyone bullies. The question is not whether you are bullying, but how you are bullying. You want bullying to stop, then stop bullying. And just let people be.  We all want the same thing, so Be and let Be.

You are not lost, you are perfect.  You don't have to find yourself.  Just Be yourself.

Be where you're supposed to Be. Be on Time and let God do the rest. Be who you are.

That is my New Year's resolution. I am going to Be. What does that mean?  It means I am going to endeavor to live authentically and Be who I am, without apology. More importantly (and more difficult), I am asking for God's help in loving who I am, without striving, comparing, coveting.  Just as I am. I am asking God for his help with greater tolerance. I want to allow others to Be who they are with unconditional love and non-judgment.

This year I'm going to just Be.  And maybe, just maybe, we are all perfect they way we are.  Wouldn't it be a relief to set down the striving for a while and enjoy just being?





No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin