Monday, April 14, 2008

The State of Things




Image from Better Homes and Garden Decorating, Spring 2008. This is the current inspiration for my place. I adore the pink and orange with large amounts of white. During my recent illness, I was too weak to read so I stared at this picture. As I recovered, I began thinking about things. Just how many things do I need? Can I live with less money if it means more freedom?









I won't lie. I love objects, especially pottery. I love reading blogs and seeing how people adorn their homes. I am not anti-stuff, just anti-clutter. When faced with major life dilemmas, things become less important to me. Increasingly, I find that things don't make me happy. The thrill of the pursuit is short-lived. I do want my place to be cute, but the truth is I am happier with fewer things.


Lately I've had to take a break because, like many creative people, I felt saturated. I needed the break to decide where I want my life to go, including my creativity. One thing has become clear (or maybe clearer) for me. I want a simple life. I've been clearing out stuff because I may be moving. Whenever I am feeling the need to soul search, I always return to simplicity. A friend recently told me I live like a church mouse, I found that to be a compliment. I want to use a smaller footprint, to leave less of an impact on the environment, but that's a topic for another post.


Here's how my apartment looks today.



I know the rug is too small. I would like a large faux sheepskin rug. I would also love a sectional, then I wouldn't need a chair. Alas, neither is in the budget. And it's best to travel light for now.





I adore pillows. The exercise ball provides fun extra seating as do my several ottomans.



It's humble, but gorgeous textiles provide luxury.









The bowl was a gift. It is vintage and made of banana leaves!




I am loving blue pottery.



I want a new lamp, but opted to just pull this one out of my closet. I would like to turn this shade into a hanging lamp.


I would really like to have a red or shocking pink candelabra. I adore this one from Urban Outfitters, but at $48.00 it's too steep. (I know, I know. I'm cheap.)





Maybe I'll find a candelabra at a junk store that I can spray paint. Just what I need. Another project to procrastinate about.

4 comments:

Sas said...

Dear Peggy,

Very open and moving post.

Lovely how all your reflections seem to be on my mind too now a days. Guess we already have the answers deep down inside :)

Take care and good luck on your new journey my friend :))

hugs Sas

Anonymous said...

Dear Peggy,
I am finally caught up with your blog and just like Jessie ( MY Mod Style) I think I've found a kindred spirit with you and your blog. I love the Orange and Pink combo and Hello! The two white chairs that you found for that dining area.. SCORE!
Cheers,
Mod Diva

Peggy said...

Sas - thank you for your kind comment and thanks for visiting!

Mod Diva - thank you! I love your blog as well. I hope you will visit often.

Anonymous said...

Great pottery Work. I am handicraft manufacturer and looking for handicraft partners globally through this website.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin