Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Karen Zilly







All images from Shenspace.


If I had a choice of any contemporary artist to train with, I wouldn't even have to think twice. It would be Karen Zilly, hands down. In my opinion, she is one of the finest painters of our time. I love images of Buddhas, and have been experimenting with painting Buddha faces. But, if I can't paint like Ms. Zilly, there is really no point.




Her canvases are full of love. They are ethereal and romantic. Deeply contemplative. And so soft. In fact, I find her soft hand almost unprecedented. These paintings seem as original as possible (keeping in mind that there is no such thing as true originality). That is, I really can't pinpoint an artist whose influence is evident in her work. However, I am sure there will be artists who will be influenced by Ms. Zilly's work.

I love all of her paintings and would love to commission a very large painting of Lord Shiva and his consort Sakthi to hang in my bedroom. I love how her faces seem to appear through rain. Currently, I am working on an art project attempting to capture the romance of rain. If I master this project, perhaps I should attempt to paint Buddhas again. But as I said, if I can't paint like Ms. Zilly, what's the point? Ms. Zilly - do you have any openings in your gallery in New York?

Here is my own painting of a female Buddha, which is more graphic and very different in style than Ms. Zilly's.

Female Buddha, 2007. Approximately 11" x 14", acrylic on canvas.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Oh, I like yours!!!!!! Love the colors.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin